“It is better to light a candle than curse the darkness.” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
Take part in our mass-participation film
As part of Artwalk Wakefield’s first online Film Night on Wednesday 27 January 2021, we’re asking people who live and/or work in Wakefield District (of any age and experience) to send us a 1-5 second video clip inspired by the theme ‘Light in Dark Times’.
2021 has already brought on more change in the form of a 3rd lockdown and the UK’s exit from the EU. As we settle into a new reality and adjust once again, we wanted to produce something for the Artwalk Film Night that connects and challenges us. Most importantly, we wanted to bring our amazing audience together to do something fun!
All of the individual video clips submitted will be compiled in the order that we receive them into one film and shown during the Artwalk on Wednesday 27 January. We hope it will send a message of positivity and togetherness to all of us when we need it - particularly at a time in the year, and our history, which can feel a little too dark sometimes.
What could Light in Dark Times mean?
We wanted to leave the brief open to your interpretation, but here are a few things you could use as a starting point if you’re looking for some inspiration:
- Dark times could literally mean the middle of the night or the darkness outside of your window on a Winter morning.
- Dark times could be interpreted as this general time of Covid-19 which has felt very dark indeed, a feeling, or a moment something unpleasant happened.
- Light could mean positivity, happiness, hope or future, which are themes you could explore in your short video.
- Your clip could include physical lights, such as the sun, the moon, candles, fairy lights hanging in the window from Christmas or light emitted from screens. You could also play with shadows.
- You could think of light as symbolising New Year, the hope a new start brings, the challenges and changes it could bring with it as well.
Whatever ideas or thoughts come to mind when you think of Light in Dark Times, have a go at capturing that in a 1-5 second video clip and send us it!
Individual clips won’t be credited (to ensure the film is nice and smooth from one clip to the next) but a full list of the names of those who submit something will be listed at the end of the film. So, what’s the worst that could happen?
What you need to do:
- Make sure your video is 1-5 seconds maximum.
- Shoot in Landscape mode on your phone
- You can add effects or filters to your video if you wish!
- Your video can be silent or have sound, talking or music to it. That’s for you to decide.
- Your video clip should be an MP4 file.
- Submit your video by Midnight Sunday 17 January to be included.
- Email your video directly to us and write your full name in the email so it can be included at the end of the film.
- Have fun with it! Let’s see what we can produce when we all give it a go.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.” ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.